Friday, November 29, 2013

Book #1: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. This book was published in 2008, but well, the translation in my language was published recently (5 years later!) so maybe it's kinda late to make a review. But, hey, why not?

I found this book when I surfed the shelves on the bookstore.  Interesting title, I thought. I took it and then read the synopsis on the back cover.



A boy named Bod, short for Nobody, lived in the graveyard since he was a baby and raised by the ghosts. His guardian was neither the living nor the death. As he grew older, he discovered adventures in the graveyard and met many mystical creatures. In the other hand, the living world grabbed his attention but its danger still waited for him.

Since I am a huge fan of fiction-fantasy stories and
other Gaiman's books I've read were not disappointing, I decided to read this one also. In a single non-stop-night-till-dawn reading, I finished the book. Again, Gaiman didn't disappoint me.

Firstly, this book had more characters than another Gaiman's hit, Coraline. Although the story mostly focused on what happened in graveyard, there were many characters to be told. In each chapter, you would be introduced to new characters and they were all wonderful. Another plus point beside the numbers of character was the characteristic itself. Gaiman created each character with their own unique nature. One character was calm and mysterious, the other was very ambitious, other was careless, and another was a loving person. They were all linked together and built into such a nice story.

Besides, this book was concisely written. Each chapter had its focus and each sentence had its meaning. It made me hard to stop reading and it gave me hollow feeling after I finished it (what should I read after this?)

Well, there was also predictable plot in this book. I knew that the guy was him and I knew exactly what his next action would be. However, in my opinion, Gaiman knew that part would be easily predicted but he wrote it anyway and it annoyed me successfully. I was like,"No! Don't go there! No! He's lying!" Well, yeah, predictable, but still it made me want to go on reading. Despite some predictable parts, there were many unpredictable events as well. So, be ready to surprise yourself!

The last thing I liked about this book was there's no cheesy love story. Actually, it was matter of taste. I just felt like wasting money if I bought a book and it only told a story about a girl getting a new date.

After all, I would score this book 8 out of 10. If you are fantasy lover who like fantasy story without too much drama and more adventure, this book is recommended.


P.S. I can't wait to know who will be playing Silas and Bod in the movie!


picture source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3e/TheGraveyardBook_Hardcover.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment